Saturday, November 12, 2005

The Veteran's Day 8k

Today's race was, first and foremost, a lot of fun. The weather was phenomenal...62 degrees and just a few clouds, which, on November 11 in North Dakota, is a once-a-decade occurrence. A great day for a great race. I was able to reach my goal, to break 30 minutes on the course (29:52), which is a nice bonus. Thank you High School Kid for going out too hard and dying at the end. It's always easier to run through the pain when you're catching and not being caught. I ran out of room and ended up in third place by a stride. The spectators were pretty amped up over the whole Race For Second Place, so that was cool. I wish I could have seen it.

Spikes on rocks? This should be interesting...

So, with that in the books, tomorrow is the first day of the Experience. Speaking of books, I received today, via the good people at Amazon.com, two books that should better inform my plan for the next several months, possibly years: Running With Lydiard and Daniels' Running Formula. I can tell already the Daniels book is going to be a tedious, if logical, read, although I'm sure parts of it will be useful. Lydiard, on the other end of the spectrum, is very abstract in his descriptions. What is a quarter effort for me? Anyway, I've just given the books a glance at this point, and I'm sure with time I will come to understand it all better.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home