Sunday, November 20, 2005

Marathon Man

Today's 26.2 mile run was notable for a couple of reasons. My previous longest run was 23 miles and I had never done a three hour run before. I was feeling pretty good after an hour or so, and had planned on 2:15 to 2:30 anyway. It was a nice day, about 30 degrees, and the sun was shining, so I took the opportunity to do my first unofficial marathon. Overall, it went pretty well. I'm a little bit stiff, but I would have expected that anyway since my last two hour run was a couple of months ago.

Also, I saw a good size whitetail buck out on a golf course while I was out. Just a 3x3, but pretty thick through the body. I was as close as 60-70 meters, which is about as close as I care to get without a gun. Those things are unpredictable, powerful, and stupid. Kind of like the idiot chasing it around on the golf course.

26.2 miles in 3:06:11 (7:06 pace)

6 Comments:

Blogger Mike

Well done Eric! That's a very good clip, especially for unchartered territory. One in the bank for the future for sure. As far as what to blog about, geez, I surely have no idea myself. I started by mostly talking about Lydiard, but with the internet I find that some of the people who read the stuff know ten times what I know, which is intimidating.

Seeing a buck getting chased by a golf cart, now that's classic blogging material.

11/21/2005 08:48:00 PM  
Blogger Thomas

Pretty awesome! Just one thing: if you're running marathons effortlessly like that, why do you need this blog to be accountable to an audience? Looks to me like you don't need any more motivation.

11/22/2005 05:51:00 AM  
Blogger Eric

Clarification: the idiot chasing the deer was wearing running shoes, i.e. me. No golf cart needed, although one would have been welcome at the time, 24 miles into my run.

Thomas, I appreciate the comment a lot. I unfortunately require a great deal of motivation to stick with anything. More motivation than some people, and certainly less than others. I like to say that I don't need anyone's help to do what has been done, I need everyone's help for what I am about to do. I'm the type of guy who could easily turn around tomorrow and say bollocks to waking up at 5am, what is it going to get me anyway? So far, getting comments from people like you and others has been very helpful in keeping me at it.

I'll have to write more on this, Thomas. Your comment really touched an important point for me. Thanks again.

11/22/2005 12:13:00 PM  
Blogger Mike

Re-read your post, not sure where I got the golf cart out of that. Maybe I need to drink my coffee before reading blogs!

11/22/2005 03:11:00 PM  
Blogger psbowe

All I can say is WOW! Someday... for me.

11/23/2005 11:51:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown

Nice unofficial marathon! Sounds like things are going good, keep it up.

11/23/2005 12:35:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home