Friday, July 21, 2006

Assessment of Needs

Feeling better the last couple of days. Still having some issues with breathing through a stuffed up nose and my 'intestinal fortitude' could be better. I've needed to stop by some construction sites on my runs over the last week to use the portable facilities. Not fun.

Thursday I had anticipated going out for 16-18 and running as quick as I could comfortably manage. The first eight went down at 6:15 pace average, and I wasn't feeling very good doing it. After a pit stop at one of the aforementioned facilities, I started in on the second half. After feeling like crap for another half mile or so, the pace picked up naturally and felt pretty good, so I went with it. Eight and a half miles later, I finished with a nice little marathon pace effort averaging 5:50s. Overall, 16.5 miles in 1:40 and change, 6:06 pace.

Today was just a nice little 12 mile recovery run at just over 7:00 pace. I didn't necessarily feel like I needed a recovery run, but I've got a tempo run on schedule tomorrow and a strongly paced 22 miler on Sunday. It's likely the recovery will have been a good idea.

It's about time I come to grips with what I am going to do. I'm either going to put 2:29 out there and train like it, or I'm going to keep doing what I have been doing, which is lack intensity in my training because I'm okay with going for 2:35 because it's my first time in the marathon, I need to respect the distance, the course is hilly at the end, my dress is too tight, etc., etc.

I've started to realize that the fear of failure is part of the reason I haven't committed to the 2:29 yet. That and the fact that I haven't demonstrated the ability to run even 13 miles at 5:43 pace yet, let alone comfortably.

I've been told, however, that some of the workouts I have done already look like 2:29 building blocks, and that the right kind of peak should be worth 20 seconds a mile. If that's the case, I'm right there.

There's no penalty for failure, other than running 2:29 pace through 18 or 20 miles and finishing in 2:41, so what am I afraid of? . That's right--nothing.

I have a few more key workouts to do before I can begin to believe in the 2:29, but I started having faith a few days ago. And hope is increasing. I'll start with what I have and get what I need. Seventy days to go.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous

You're right. What do you have to lose? Abject failure in front of your faithful blog readers?

Just kidding. You're in great shape, and you'll run a marathon you can be proud of regardless of what you do in the next 70 days (unless you stop altogether and focus on setting the record for consuming the longest unbroken string of spray cheese).

As with anything you put a modicum of effort into, do your best to eliminate the "what-ifs," because they don't go away very quickly (kind of like child support).

7/21/2006 02:57:00 PM  
Blogger Mike

It's a tough call, figuring out what marathon pace you can hold. You're still 70 days out, and there's really only one day you need to be in shape to run 5:43's. My heart says go for it, but the few crash and burns I've suffered through give me some pause.

And for crap's sake, one of the "sub 2:30 hopefuls" has to make it before we all quit blogging. It might as well be you.

7/23/2006 02:47:00 PM  
Blogger Benny

Patience... The marathon is a whole new beast, it's not a 10k, have patience you will go under sub 2:30, but be patient. I have read your log, you are pretty solid. Keep your head up and go into the marathon HEALTHY :)

7/29/2006 11:30:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous

Great site Eric!! With your work ethic and commitment, I am confident you will run a sub 2:29. I'll be there at mile 20 to cheer you thru the wall!!! Take care!! Rick

8/14/2006 11:13:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home