Thursday, August 03, 2006

Oh, Puke!

Last Saturday, I ran that 5k and followed it up with a nice, easy six mile cooldown. Everything felt great. Then I helped my neighbor move a 36-inch television. He had asked me about helping him move it way back before we went to San Diego at the beginning of June, so at nearly the beginning of August, I thought I would (should) inquire just so I didn't seem like I was pretending not to remember. I was secretly hoping it had already been taken care of, but it had not.

It can't be that heavy.

Yes, it can. Just a quick glance around the 36-inchers at Amazon shows me a weight of 225-250 pounds for one of these things. It was every ounce of that. My neighbor is a slight guy, like me, and is in his late 60s, so once my wife and I saw the size of this tv, we were concerned. He insisted on moving it, though, so we did.

The next day, I didn't feel up to my normal 22 miler, so I just did 14 at an easy pace. My right leg felt odd. No power. I attributed it to the race and the hills. Then on Monday, just a seven miler, still not feeling good overall, and the right leg a little bit sore now and still a sense of no power when landing and pushing off.

Tuesday I did a good stretch and warm up, started off with a very slight limp for about a quarter mile, then everything was pretty good. The sensation of power was there for the most part, and even got to the point where everything felt 100% for the last four miles.

Later on Tuesday, my hamstring and inner thigh started to hurt and tighten up. Stretching briefly made it feel better, but the slight pain and general weakness continued.

Waking up Wednesday morning, it was just as bad as the day before, so I decided to take a day off. No sense pushing a minor injury this late in the game. I went for a walk Wednesday evening, and it was about the same.

This morning the leg was feeling slightly better, so I opted for a bike ride at high RPMs. The ride felt fine, but I wasn't able to get my heart rate up very well. Pretty much hovering in the 110s.

I'm not too concerned about missing a couple of days right now. It won't make the log look good, but if I can heal up in time for the quality workouts or at least minimize the impact on the quality workouts, missing a couple of recovery runs is immaterial. All in all, this should be pretty quick to fix. Just a simple hamstring and adductor strain.

One thing that will be key to my next build up is strength training. Whether it's plyo, weights, hills, or whatever, I obviously have developed a durability problem in my old age. F@$%ing irritating, but it is what it is. Next time around it won't be a problem.

2 Comments:

Blogger Mike

Wow, television really is bad for you. A day or two off might actually help. Rest well.

8/03/2006 07:04:00 PM  
Blogger Eric

Nice pun. Here, try this...

A little television is fine, but too much can really hurt you.

Thank you. Thank you very much.

Beck and Pfitz both mention going into the MP workouts 'fresh' and treating them somewhat like a race, so I suppose I could think of this like a mini taper.

I really have a ridiculously good attitude about this.

8/03/2006 07:28:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home