Friday, February 10, 2006

IFFF!

It's Finally Friday is the headline, but I've included an expletive for your reading enjoyment. I do enjoy my weekends.

Eighteen miles this morning, starting before 5am, finally. I am a very pokey person in the morning. I was out of bed at 4am, dithering over some blogs and looking up some info on the Winnipeg Marathon. Then I spent some time gassing up the engine with some tasty Froot Loops--the variety with 1/3 less sugar. Very highly recommended for the over 30 palate. These are not your children's Froot Loops. Much more sophisticated.

Anyway, I was finally able to get on the treadmill at 4:45 and get started. I've been struggling the past couple of weeks with improving my training pace. I've been reading about Hadd training and its analogue, Low Heart Rate training. Both basically say when you are in your base training phase don't let your HR go over about 150 (there's a formula), but try to keep it close to there for a lot of your training. The idea behind this is that most people are poorly aerobically trained, and maxing at a HR of 150 tends to slow these people down. Say your normal runs are 7:30 pace. You may find, if you are not aerobically fit, your HR is in the 155-160 range during these runs. Hadd training would suggest you slow down to a pace that may seem uncomfortably slow in order to achieve a training HR of 140-145, which, over a period of time would address the aerobic imbalance. Eventually, you would be back to running faster than the original 7:30 pace at a lower HR, and have a more balanced system.

I probably butchered the whole concept, but that's what I got out of it. Well, I tried it myself, and found that I needed to run about 6:30-6:40 pace for every run in order to achieve an HR of 145-150. That's way too fast as indicated by my legs after two days of doing LHR training. Hopefully that tells me I'm way too aerobically fit and I'm ready to do some speed.

Having abandoned that method, I needed to find a way to speed up my daily training, and I think I've found it. Since moving up to higher mileage over the past 13 weeks, I have found myself running at 7:25-7:30 pace. For a while, it was the only way to maintain the mileage without getting to tired or inviting injury. Now that I am handling the miles, and should be more fit, I still find that 7:30 pace feels *gasp* fast more days of the week than I would like. So, I've started running the first mile really slow 8-8:30 pace, then down to 7:30 over the next mile, and then down to the paces that I think I should be running, anywhere from 7:15 on down to 6:30 by the end of the runs. This way I'm getting my average pace down without hitting myself over the head at 5am with an uncomfortable early pace, becoming frustrated with how I'm feeling, and bagging the run for a comfy 7:30 pace jog.

I'm almost done with the week. Ninety-three miles down and one run to go. Happy Friday, everyone!

3 Comments:

Blogger David

I've started doing the same, very slow start, 8:00+ pace then progressively faster each mile, easy to do on treadmill, surprised at how it helps, never used to do proper warmups before, still feel a little guilty counting the first/slow miles in my log, but it counts, right?

2/10/2006 12:54:00 PM  
Blogger Eric

Yes, it all counts. I think I forgot that I was getting up at 4 or 5 in the morning, and that I probably SHOULD take a bit of a warm up before tearing off on a 16 miler.

Thanks for the comment!

2/10/2006 08:43:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous

best regards, nice info Marketing commission junction online performance affiliate Credit insurance brokers in the us Advisor financial irish Ativan overnight.html Car computer touchscreen gps Pontiac dauphin bill withers lean on me soundtrack online Modesto refinance mortgage make credit card payments online pay direct tv bill on line Rosacea soap psoriasis Zvue portable mp3 mp4 video player victoria&aposs secret pay bill online search engine optimization tutong Coaches sports bar houston texas emaxx bonds pay toyota bill

1/31/2007 07:46:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home