Sunday, February 19, 2006

Title Goes Here

The long run today went better than anticipated, and I was able to get 28 miles in. Overall, I felt really good, although there were a couple of tough spots. This was my longest run ever, both by time and by distance. It was done entirely on the treadmill, though, so unfortunately it doesn't count toward my weekly mileage.

This 28 felt about as difficult as the 24 milers I did a couple of months ago, so I'm assuming that means progress. I even felt good enough at the end to throw in a half-mile at six minute pace. The Gatorade Endurance Formula that I mentioned in one of my previous entries worked well again. I would definitely recommend it if you haven't tried it. I mix it 50/50 with water and take in about eight ounces every half-hour. I feel really good from a fueling standpoint start to finish, which bodes well for my upcoming marathon.

Not running related, but curling is actually an interesting game. I won't call it a sport any more than I will call golf or NASCAR a sport, but it is more interesting than I ever gave it credit for. I ended up watching an entire match, which is 10 'ends' over the course of my 3:28:07 on the hamster wheel. Basically, each team tries to get its respective rock as close to the center as possible of this big circle at the other end of this long sheet of ice. That's as simply as I can describe it. There is a great deal of finesse and strategy involved, which is what caught my attention. I could hardly believe that I was cheering after about twenty minutes of watching this stuff!

Ice skating still sucks, though.

3 Comments:

Blogger Mike

I just re-read February. I must have read it before at some point. Twin Cities? I just can't wait that long, you will have to change plans and run a spring marathon. Sorry about changing your plans, but I'm just not that patient and I'm one of your two bloglines subscribers so you have to listen! Kidding, really. Garageband is cool though. Did you ever find my mp3 link to my old band on my blog's sidebar?

On a serious note, you deserve a medal for staying on a treadmill that long, curling or not. Good work.

2/20/2006 11:12:00 AM  
Blogger Eric

I have toyed with the idea of a spring marathon, but I probably won't do it. The Fargo marathon (May 20) would be my first choice as it is close by and it offers prize money, which would be cool. If I thought I would be ready to go 2:35 by May, I would probably just do it. I just don't think I would get the weather I would need to be able to do 8-10 weeks with hard workouts. I'd basically be starting now, with -25 morning temps and ice and snow absolutely everywhere except for my treadmill belt. That's what I get for living in North Dakota.

I'll probably be doing a short series of summer races, capping off with a half-marathon in July, just to see where I'm at. I'm never sure though. I don't have the discipline to coach and schedule myself the way you seem to be able to.

I did listen to your Starcrunch tune a couple of times. Good stuff! I've always wanted to play guitar very badly...which I do, quite badly. I stole that from Bono.

I've been on the mill way to often this winter. I may not be winter tough like in past years, but I've never been through a winter without being injured either. Knock on wood, it hasn't happened yet after almost 4 months at 2-3 times my old mileage. I just wish mine was as fast as Zeke's machine. Five minute pace would be handy.

Here's a fair trade: you get me a treadmill that goes five minutes a mile and I will run a spring marathon!

Final joke: I have TWO subscribers?! Why did you sign up twice?

2/20/2006 01:07:00 PM  
Blogger Mike

I always forget about that "weather" stuff living here in Tucson, where my biggest wardrobe decision today was gloves or no gloves at 39 degrees and calm (no gloves won). You are more disciplined than you realize to actually wait until you are ready to race. You made me post twice today after your comments. I'm trying to make your blog more famous so you'll post more. Now that Nobby is showing up I have to be even more careful!

Zeke's 'mill does sound nice.

2/20/2006 04:11:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home