Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Update

Just a quick entry since I haven't posted in a week. I've been out of town for work since Sunday, but the running is still going fast and furious. Okay, maybe not furious, although my legs are furious at me right now for all of the hills I ran in St. Cloud and the Minneapolis area these past few days.

Saturday was a semi-hard 20 miler at 6:43 pace average with some fast miles at the end. That set off the DOMS in my quads, which only got worse once I hit them again on Monday morning with a 15 mile fartlek over some really steep rolling hills. I would stride out the downhills, usually 80-100 meters, at sixty second quarter speed or faster, and then work the uphill as steady as I could, about eight minute mile pace. Eight minute miles at 90% plus heart rates. Like I said, the hills are short and steep.

Tuesday brought more hills, but at a relaxed pace. The DOMS was really bothering me, so I was trying to lay back. I still ended up with 13 miles at about 7:00 pace with a 5:45 mile to finish. It actually felt better to push the pace. Go figure.

Today I intended an easy two to two and a half hour run, hoping for 20 miles. I got 13 and realized it wasn't happening. I was operating on 5-6 hours of sleep each of the last two nights and the sore legs were taking me out of it mentally. Tomorrow will be 18-20 easy on the mill, which will reduce the pounding quite a bit versus the concrete.

3 Comments:

Blogger Mike

I'm glad to hear that 20 miles at 6:43 was at least "semi-hard"! Seriously, the hills were probably really good for you (though remember who is writing this). I feel the same way when DOMS sets in, after warming up long enough and suffering at a slow pace, running faster usually makes things feel better. I wonder why? Hope you had a nice week away, you should have looked up Nobby.

3/30/2006 03:06:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous

Funny that you describe Minneapolis as hilly ... Hope those floods don't get you in Fargo.

Let us know if you're going to be down in the cities again, and have time to meet up for a run. Zeke and I would be happy to meet up.

4/03/2006 12:14:00 AM  
Blogger Eric

From the river's edge to the western edge of town, the elevation changes by about three feet. Kind of like a dinner plate. From that perspective, the Arden Hills/Mpls area was somewhat hilly. The road I found outside of St. Cloud is much like the one in my profile picture. Those hills stayed with me for a few days.

I will be heading back there again next Sunday through Tuesday. I'll shoot you an e-mail and see if we can work something out. It would be cool to go for a run with other people for a change.

4/03/2006 05:20:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home