Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Air Supply

That band should be making a comeback sometime soon. When I was eight, they were on top of the world. The marketing cycle makes all things old new again for purchase, so Air Supply should be coming out with some new material soon. Let's hope.

On to running. Last week was 10 sessions, 90 miles total. Toward the end of the week, it started to creep in to my legs like old times. Just a bit sluggish the first mile of the run, then loosening up and slipping into gear for the balance. Three of the runs were easy four milers and three were what I would call quality. A 14 mile run averaging 6:17 pace, a six mile tempo averaging 5:40s, and a 5+ mile fartlek averaging 6:17 pace. A good week overall.

This week started off well with a 2:21 20 mile trail run at a state park. It was nice to finally get out and put in a long, steady effort after all of these stupid calf problems. There are lots of small rolling hills out there, so it was a different kind of feeling than I am used to when running on the roads in town. Even at lower heart rates (135-140) I noticed my breathing was similar to patterns I would normally have at 155-160. Interesting.

After the run I was good and tired, and a bit sore. Yesterday was really easy, just a five miler in the morning and two on the mill to keep the blood flowing. I have been having some muscle soreness since the mileage picked up again, so a nearly "off" day of seven miles should help that clear up. I'm planning on two quality workouts this week, probably Wednesday and Friday. One will be another six mile tempo, and I'm not sure what the second will be yet.

Have a good week, everyone.

5 Comments:

Blogger Mike

A real fartlek run, a tempo run, and a long, strong aerobic effort all in the same week. Lots of people pay these important workouts lip service (or, err, keyboard service), but most don't put the work in. You even squeezed in the long run. A textbook perfect week, well done. October will be creeping up faster than you realize.

5/23/2006 12:46:00 PM  
Blogger Eric

Thanks. It felt damn good to put it all together. I'm praying for 15 more textbook weeks before a textbook taper. Literally praying, every time I step out the door. October is creeping stealthily on...I can feel it in my calves.

5/23/2006 02:13:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous

October is nothing to be afraid of; you're making great progress. I can't overemphasize the importance of the 20-miler in marathon training. Capillary development, energy efficiency, maintaining proper form, all are enhanced with those long runs (you need a few over 20, if you're thinking 2:30).

Air Supply? I'm All Out of Love for those guys. Yeesh!

5/23/2006 04:13:00 PM  
Blogger Eric

The long run probably has a lot to do with where I am right now. I haven't gone through my logs to count, but I did quite a few over 20 this past winter, including a 26 and 28 miler. I'm looking forward to getting them in consistently again.

5/23/2006 06:50:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous

What a great site Pop up blocker only free Walk in freezer maintenance los angeles Cancer prepare list answering business from home service Tramadol tablet tramadal Phone no. for russian embassy in romania Canada massagers and pain relief Pda+video+conferencing Vw beetle auto discount car rental Fitness women models buy depakote pal pay Filter+hepa+vacuums Speedotyr swimsuits

2/20/2007 10:12:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home