Thursday, May 04, 2006

Pull the other one...

Good news and bad news. The 22 miler turned into a 21 miler, which is fine. And the ten mile progression changed a bit, but probably for the better, into a seven mile (6:30, 6:12, 6:10, 6:09, 5:47, 5:42, 5:51). Unfortunately, I tweaked my other calf early in the run and it held together well enough to finish. A full day later it feels about like the third day of the achilles injury, which is to say moderately painful. The difference this time is it is a much more acute pain that seems to be localized to two different areas of the muscle rather than the achilles.

I'm treating it the same way, with ice, ibuprofen, and active rest. I think racing broke it down some, then a 3-4% hill run on the treadmill on Monday probably pushed it over the cliff. Two runs on Tuesday was the free fall, and 21 miles on Wednesday was slamming into the pavement and making a big dent. I've been doing strength and stretching exercises to avoid this very thing happening, but obviously it didn't work quickly enough. Interestingly, the original bad leg from two weeks ago feels *like Fabio's freshly waxed chest*.

What?

I managed only half a mile this morning of walking and half a mile of running before I got a big sting and decided to call it off. I've iced twice today, and will make it three tonight, and I will stretch lightly again before bed. I expect it will start to clear in one to two more days and then I can get back into calf raises and dorsiflexions to strengthen the whole of my lower legs. This shit has to stop. I'm just glad I have 150 days left to pull things together.

The 21 miler kicked ass though. The lead up was nine miles averaging 7:00 pace, then I met up with Paulie and did the progression. We ended up talking quite a bit during the 6:10s, which was a surprise. They felt pretty easy. The 5:50s were a bit more stressful, but still not bad. I was most happy that my legs felt strong with no cramping, even sitting at work hours later. I had loaded up on Gatorade Endurance Formula the night before, and I think that really helped. I seem to have a big problem with electrolytes, but the GFE takes care of it every time. It's a bummer that I'm hurt again for the second time in a month, but I can see my way through this one better. Another few days and I'm pretty sure it will be fine. And no more racing for a while. I've got nothing left to prove until my half-marathon in July, and I have a long way to go to position myself for TCM.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous

Sounds like a good run. When did the pain hit? Did you try to push through it? For shame!

The good news is that the injury is muscular, rather than tendon, and your plan for taking a break and loosening it up is a good one.

We need to talk about suppleness exercises (gymnastics), as well as hill training and more interval training. The common thinking is that marathon training is all about logging miles, and that speedwork is unnecessary. The common thinking is also that "finishing is winning." Your goals are not in line with the common thinking.

5/05/2006 11:30:00 AM  
Blogger Mike

Eric, we need to talk about jazzersize. I hate it when Fatboy gets here first. Just don't make him go nuts on the intervals too early, October is a long ways away. I love the hill training idea though, it should go a long ways towards fixing those pesky calf muscles for good. Easing into things and not racing sound like an excellent plan. Like Fatboy said before, a half marathon or two certainly wouldn't hurt, maybe even a 10 miler. How about going "bandit-style" and pacing me the last 10 in San Diego as practice?

5/05/2006 01:54:00 PM  
Blogger Eric

Based on how it feels, I've got a mild strain of the soleus, but in a very weird place...the lateral edge of the soleus about three inches north of my ankle. The pain hit at about 6 miles, got to its worst by 9, and all but disappeared once I started going faster. Then I didn't feel it again until a couple of hours after the run. The pain is extremely sharp in a specific area upon pointing the toes. Stretching and walking produce almost no pain. Within three minutes of beginning to run the sharp twinges start. And there is a pretty good sized knot in the painful area. I'm reading some pretty discouraging things even for mild strains. Talking weeks, not days. I hope not.

I will not jazzercise, Sam I am. I will not be a bandit for you either. I'm the official race photographer and child wrangler. Anyway, the last thing you need is a pacer. More like a chaser. That makes no sense.

5/05/2006 08:55:00 PM  
Blogger Duncan Larkin

A 22 miler with 7 progression like that is kick-ass. Nice one.

5/05/2006 09:14:00 PM  
Blogger Love2Run

There seems to be alot of this injury stuff going around. Rest and recovery must be a part of the plan too. Hope you get well and back in action soon.

5/06/2006 08:06:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home