Thursday, May 11, 2006

Day 8 : OMFG!

Okay, day eight of this calf issue. It's getting old. Progress is slow, but steady. I was able to make 2.5 miles this morning with some stiffness and a small amount of soreness, but absolutely no sharp pains for the last three days. So the progression of the injury has been like this:

Day 0: 21 miles
Day 1: .5 miles
Day 2: .62 miles (1K! So injured, I converted to metric.)
Day 3: No running
Day 4: No running
Day 5: No running
Day 6: 1 mile
Day 7: 1.5 miles AM :: 1 mile PM
Day 8: 2.5 miles AM :: TBD

This injury stands in marked contrast with the previous calf problem in that the pain was so bad I actually had to stop running completely to get some healing going. At least with the other leg, I only had one day of less than a mile, after which I was able to get right back up to my regular distances within 10 days. I'm not so sure I will be back as quickly this time around.

I'm going to have a physical therapist look at my calf, and possibly get some deep tissue massage on it. While massaging it this morning, I noticed at least two painful knots outside the location of the injury. I'm wondering if these are contributing to the problem. If they are anything like the knots I get in my neck every couple of months, they can't be good.

Bottom line, the injury is improving. Not as quickly as I would like, of course. But if there were instant gratification of every wish we had, we'd probably all be living in a soulless, me-first, consumerist society, like a bunch of puppets being jerked around by a nepostistic oligarchy.

Is that a Radiohead song?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous

Wish you the best hoping that your calf will be good again. 130 days left should be enough to get back in form! :)

Greetings from this side of the ocean,
carlos

5/14/2006 02:16:00 PM  
Blogger Eric

Danke, Carlos. My calf is still improving, just not fast enough! I need to make another post about my progress the last couple of days. It has been good, and getting better.

Thanks for your good wishes, and thanks for stopping by.

5/14/2006 02:34:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home