Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Twin Cities Marathon

I am officially registered for TCM 2006. WooT. Very exciting. Now I have just about twenty weeks to pull everything together to take advantage of the last twenty weeks of work. I'm dubious in my ability to prepare correctly at the moment, so hopefully I will be able to beg, steal, or borrow some good coaching over the next few months.

I won't say I'm shooting for sub-2:30, yet, for a couple of reasons. One, I've never raced the distance, and the debut has been a humbling experience for nearly everyone I know. Two, I don't know how much I can pull back from my college years in one year of training. My 10000m PR suggests that I am capable of 2:29:xx, but I am nowhere near that kind of condition right now. And that PR was set in 1995. Small detail.

I will say I'm trying to run as close to 2:29 as possible given the time that I have put in and the time I have left to invest before October 1. I'll have a really good idea in a couple of months how close I can get in my first marathon.

And I have a really good idea that if I don't quit writing and get running, I won't be getting any closer. Later!

5 Comments:

Blogger John Nelson

I just registered myself for the TCM, but your goals are much more ambitious than mine. It will be my 12th TCM with a best of 3:15. Good luck training!

4/26/2006 07:28:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous

What does your calendar look like? In other words, have you developed a plan to include 2-3 key tune-up races (wouldn't do more than that), with one of them at 10 miles to 1/2 marathon? It'd be real nice to see you do something like 8k, 10k, 1/2 marathon spread apart enough (w/ a 30-40% drop in volume the prior week) to see a progression, test your fitness, and put a hurtin' on yo' ass. Time goals get pretty abstract otherwise, particularly for a debut.

For the record, both of my marathons were done without specific goals. I was experimenting with some different training techniques, and I was simply trying to see what would happen

4/26/2006 02:33:00 PM  
Blogger Eric

Right now my calendar looks really clean and white. Pretty pictures on top and empty boxes on the bottom.

I have a vague notion that I will be doing some races in preparation for the marathon, but I don't have a concrete idea where I would place them in the build-up. More research is needed. And I rely upon the kindness of strangers for my research. That's why I have a blog. Heh.

What were your marathon times? I remember you won Pueblo in 2:36, but what did you run Cal International in?

4/26/2006 03:53:00 PM  
Blogger Chelle

It always helps to actually be registered for something. I'm going to have to bite the bullet soon and actually find something to sign up for in the fall. Did you ever think about doing a marathon before...it's interesting that you've been a runner for so long and this is the first you're tackling the distance. This from a girl who wanted to run once since she was nine and her parents wouldn't LET her until she was over 18. Some parents don't want their kids to drink, others have different issues...

4/26/2006 08:29:00 PM  
Blogger Eric

I had always said I would hold out until I was in shape to run a fast marathon. Otherwise it wasn't worth the time to me. Seems kind of pompous when I put it that way...To put it a nicer way, I don't think I would be honoring my God-given abilities if I went out and ran 2:52. That still sounds pompous. Heh.

There's nothing like committing $90 cash to a race to make you want to run it hell or high water. Cripes. That's another reason I held out so long...I needed a savings account.

4/26/2006 08:54:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home