Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Back In Black

Dun. Da-da-dun. Da-da-dun. My leg feels better. Still not competely healed, but probably 90% and coming up. I was able to do eight last night straight through with no pain and just a bit of tightness. It was probably too fast at an average of 6:30 pace, but the speed came naturally due to the 'taper' I was just forced through. I followed that up twelve hours later with an easy ten on the treadmill and didn't feel the leg at all.

The injury is very close to being gone, but I'll still give it some time before throwing down big mileage or speed on it. I'm debating whether to continue with plans to run the 5k on the 29th. It's still eleven days out, which is plenty of time. I'm certainly not going to risk anything to run a stupid local 5k, but I NEED! Precious NEEDS to run FAST! There's plenty of time to figure that out, I guess.

Quick recreation of every scene from the television show 24:

"WHERE IS THE BOMB!!??"

run away from an explosion...

"GIVE ME THE CODE!!"

Have a good night.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous

That's great news about the injury. I'm glad it feels better. Those things have a way of lingering, particularly the Ouchilles. Personally, I'd wait until you're back up to 20+ mile runs with AT LEAST 2 uptempo efforts per week without soreness before attempting to race. Racing has a way of making you stupid when it comes to injuries. You could race half-assed ("just training through, Mom"), but what's the point of that, this far out? This is effectively how I ruined my running career (40 pounds ago), and I'd hate to watch you lose the excellent momentum you've gained so far.

Sorry for proselytizing.

4/20/2006 10:38:00 AM  
Blogger Eric

I know you're right. My sense is that it would not be worth it to run the race unless beforehand I had done at least a couple of stride sessions and longer stong efforts with absolutely no ill effects. If I run, I definitely would be doing it as a full on effort, so it is imperative that I clear this injury fully before doing any racing.

Thanks for the continuing good advice. What's it been? Sixteen or seventeen years?

4/20/2006 12:41:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous

You were there for my 15th birthday, so it's been more than 18.

Yeesh! That hurts.

4/21/2006 10:36:00 AM  
Blogger Eric

Guh. Time slides away. We should have invented something kick ass back then. Like the iPod or the Internet.

What the hell were we thinking?!

4/21/2006 10:44:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home