Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Flood Watch

We've had a good stretch of low water over the eight years since the 1997 flood, but it looks like our time has come again. Although there is very low danger of the type of flooding we experienced in 1997, the intimidation factor is still there. The only thing between my house and the rising river is a large clay and grass snake winding its way across the landscape fifty yards from my front door.

As I write this, the river stands at 46.4 feet, which is the sixth highest mark on record since 1887. Flood stage is considered 28 feet, but that doesn't really mean much to the average person. The water is covering up most of the park and golf course near my house, including the running paths that wind through them.

Memorable workouts from the last week include 12 miles, including 8x200 strides on Saturday, a brutal 22 miler on Sunday that didn't go well (but got done), and 12 miles this morning with a four mile progression from 6:30 to 6:00 pace. I'm feeling pretty good. I have noticed that the transition away from the treadmill is tougher on my legs than I expected. Concrete is much harder than a treadmill deck, and the faster paces that feel comfortable on the road add to the stress. The lack of fluid availability is making things more difficult as well. I have bonked on a couple of longer runs now without my Gatorade Endurance Formula readily at hand.

I'm racing a 5k at the end of April. I post some further details later. Time to get to work.

2 Comments:

Blogger Mike

Are you still there Eric?? I know, I'm kind of your blog-stalker but I was hoping to hear that the water levels have receded. Good luck to you and the family.

4/07/2006 05:58:00 PM  
Blogger Eric

Yes, still here. Not floating yet. The river is slowly coming down. It will stay at a pretty high level for another week or so, and then hopefully come down under forty feet so we can all stop worrying about the next rainstorm.

Thanks for caring, man!

4/07/2006 08:53:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home