Thursday, December 07, 2006

Icebug MR3 :: Updated!

ICEBUG MR3

I got the Icebug MR3 shoes today, and I am looking forward to throwing down on the ice tomorrow morning with carbon-studded abandon. Winter can kiss my ass. I'll post a further review of the shoes after I have had some time to wear them a bit. So far, I wore them out to the car and around the yard a bit, and I'm very excited by how well they work. Hopefully my feet get along with them.

Follow Up Review:

My feet and my shins hate these shoes. Unfortunately, they will have to be sent back. I think if they were less bulky, like the MR2 Bugrip, I would have a better chance with them.

First Run Review:

They are very good (8 of 10). Sixteen studs per shoe, and they grip well without the 'wobbly' feeling you get from the slip on variety. Much more stable. The shoes are roomy across the toebox, like Saucony shoes, but still fit well. I am an Asics die-hard, and they still worked well for me right out of the box on a six mile run.

They are best on compacted snow, and still offer solid grip on concrete and smooth ice. You will find yourself searching out compacted snow or snow rather than ice, asphalt, or concrete though. Hard surfaces are noticeably less grippy and very noisy.

The styling is very nice, if that's a factor for you. They look like technical trail shoes. The shoes are on the heavy side at 14+ ounces each in a men's 10. Also, the value could be better. At $120, you're paying a premium for a technology no one else offers and taking a chance on fit and ride comfort.

Overall, I'm happy with the shoes. We'll see how they hold up over the next two months when I do the follow up review. Cheers!

8 Comments:

Blogger Tom Bailey

Being a runner I like your blog and it caught my eye. I just wrote a little bit about the Badwater marathon on my blog. Nice blog and good luck on your marathon.


http://sms100.blogspot.com/

12/07/2006 06:41:00 PM  
Blogger UMaine Cooperative Extension

Looking forward to the review as we just had our first snowfall of the year and the roads are not looking too good.

12/08/2006 07:33:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous

"Winter can kiss my ass."

You rock. I think I need to go for a run now.

12/09/2006 10:05:00 AM  
Blogger Eric

Testing to see if blogger totally screwed up my comments section.

12/13/2006 01:28:00 PM  
Blogger Phil

"Winter can kiss my ass."

I liked that aswell :) heh a good title for a book.

12/19/2006 11:56:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous

My name is Robert Key and I am an avid runner from Houston, Texas. I have a web site http://www.faithfulsoles.com which is dedicated to inspiring, encouraging and motivating walkers, runners and athletes of all abilities, and we are launching a Running Blog Database this week where members of our site can find and read blogs that most closely fit their own ability and goals (you can read more about it on the web site).

I saw a link to your blog from one of the distance running blogs I was reading, which is how I came to read your blog and contact you.

I would be grateful if you would register a link to your running blog with my web site for our members to read (it only takes about 2-3 minutes to complete the online form). From the home page, under "Free Features" in the lefthand column, just click on "Link your running blog".

Thanks and continued good luck in your training

1/21/2007 08:27:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous

I'll have to agree. When it comes to pure grip nothing beats my IceBug MR3s, unfortunately they're also extremly uncomfortable to run in. You need to buy shoes that are atleast half a size larger than usual to accomodate all the extra cushioning you'll need to actually be able to run in them. I've heard that Asics has a new model out called 'Arctic' that are also dubbed.

2/05/2007 03:02:00 AM  
Blogger Eric

I'll Have to check those out. I'm a big fan of Asics. I've been wearing their shoes for many years.

Thanks for the comment.

2/05/2007 04:45:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home