Friday, October 13, 2006

A Good Kind of Frustrated

This weather is a pain in the ass. In the last three days it has been under 30 degrees with 15-25 mile per hour winds, and yesterday we had snow. I'm pretty motivated coming off of this injury, so it's more than a little frustrating to be working hard and running slower than I would like, and then running even slower because of the conditions.

I tried a shorter tempo run this morning, trying my best to stay in the trees and out of the gusting 35 mph wind. The result was a less than exciting 5:55 pace average for three miles, at heart rates approaching 95% of max by the end. But the good news is, I am able to do something faster than 6:20 pace without re-injuring, so that is progress.

The recovery seems to be on track, based on the last week or so of running, so although I'm champing at the bit to get back to 'normal', I need to exercise some patience getting there. November through January will be base building and maintenance anyway, so there is plenty of time before the next marathon build-up starts in February.

Time for coffee.

4 Comments:

Blogger Mike

95% of max heart rate sounds pretty damn hard to me, maybe too hard if you sustained it long enough. The weather truly sounds crummy there, so I won't tell you what it's like in Tucson as it would leave you searching for the "crying" emoticon. You have plenty of time, so stay healthy.

10/13/2006 12:18:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous

Mike's right. Get the time on the legs. You need to forget what it's like to run hurt before you start playing with tempo.

For now, focus on loading up on salmon and growing your winter pelt.

10/15/2006 12:25:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous

come over for a 3 hour tour of East Hawaii's coast in March man!

10/16/2006 01:51:00 AM  
Blogger Eric

Paulie, I wish! I think once I got there I'd forget about running and head straight for the beach.

I was able to get my fatness on during the six weeks of rehab/no running. The leg is feeling good now after two weeks of consistent training (60, 54). Staying healthy and building up miles is the focus.

10/16/2006 05:58:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home